Cornell will conduct a survey of the sub-terrain on campus and in the towns of Ithaca and Dryden Sept. 21-25, the next step in its plan to implement Earth Source Heat.Read more about Cornell to conduct Earth Source Heat seismic survey Sept. 21-25
Larry D. Brown is the Sidney Kaufman Professor in Geophysics. Brown earned a B.S. in physics from the Georgia Institute of Technology and Ph.D. in geological sciences from Cornell. Brown's primary research interest is the application of multichannel seismic reflection methods to the exploration of the continental lithosphere. Current research includes deep seismic investigations in China (especially Tibet), Mongolia, Taiwan, the Andes, and the Caribbean (Montserrat), the application of seismic interferometry to seismic body waves, imaging of crustal structure using microearthquakes and 4D seismic monitoring of deep tectonic processes. Brown's recent interests also include application of ground penetrating radar to archaeology, geotechnical evaluations and volcano stratigraphy. Brown is a fellow of the Geological Society of America and a member of the American Geophysical Union, the Society of Exploration Geophysicists, the Seismological Society of America and the Society of Petroleum Engineering.
geophysics; seismology; ground penetrating radar; geotectonics
EAS 1220 Earthquake! in the Spring. EAS 1220 is the second largest course offered by EAS. Teach EAS 7810 Seismic Reflection Data Processing in the Fall.
- 2016."Retrieving body waves from train noise with seismic interferometry."Geophysical Journal International205: 301-313. .
- 2015."Aftershock imaging with Dense Arrays (AIDA) following the Mw 4.0 Waterboro earthquake of October 16, 2012, Maine, U.S.A.,."Seismological Research Letters86(3): 1033-1039. .
- 2015."Aftershock imaging using a dense seismometer array (AIDA) after the 2011 Mineral, Virginia, earthquake."In The 2011 Mineral, Virginia, Earthquake, and Its Signifi cance for Seismic Hazards in Eastern North America, edited by Horton, J.W., Jr., Chapman, M.C., and Green, R.A.,. Boulder, Colorado, United States: Geological Society of America. .
- 2014."Central Andean Mantle and Crustal Seismicity Under the Southern Puna plateau and Northern Margin of the Chilean Flatslab."Tectonics33(8): 1636-1658. .
- 2013."From layer cake to complexity: 50 years of geophysical investigations of the earth."In Special Paper 500: The Web of Geological Sciences: Advances, Impacts, and Interactions, edited by P. Bickford, 233-258. Geological Society of America. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Friendship Award(State Administration for Foreign Experts of the Peoples Republic of China)2001
- ARCO Outstanding Junior Faculty Award(ARCO)1981
- Fellow(Geological Society of America)1980
- BS(Physics),Georgia Institute of Technology,1973
- Ph D(Geological Sciences),Cornell University,1976