Collaborators from across Cornell University, including Professors Esteban Gazel and Megan Holycross, were awarded $1M to mine rare-earth minerals used in consumer electronics and advanced renewable... Read more about Using microbes, scientists aim to extract rare-earth elements
Geology is the passion of my life. Since my childhood, earthquakes and volcanoes have motivated my curiosity to understand the secrets of our planet. My team study processes in our planet’s interior that produce magmas, volcanoes, and contribute to planetary evolution. Population growth, the risk of natural hazards, climate change, the need for new suitable energy solutions, increase the need for highly trained Earth scientists. My mission is to contribute to the education of the next generations so that we can bring solutions to these challenges.
Gazel works on solving the puzzles of the Earth by studying processes in the interior of our planet that produce magma and volcanoes. His goal is to understand how these processes contribute to planetary evolution and how they impacted life and the environment in the past in order to prepare for the future. Gazel's work integrates different Earth geochemical cycles, from ocean crust production to subduction and deep recycling, He studies these processes from a geochemical perspective complemented by interdisciplinary collaboration with other fields.Research Group Members
Dr. Gazel's teaching philosophy focuses on active learning. The use of actual data and case studies teach students tangible skills that they can use in their career fields. Gazel's strives to contribute to the education of the next generation of Earth science leaders who seek to find solutions for the challenges of the 21st century with population growth, natural hazards, climate change, and water and other natural resource challenges.
- Gazel, E., Hayes J,L., Ulloa, A, Alfaro, A, ColemanD, Carr, M., J. 2019. The record of the transition from an oceanic arc to a young continent in the Talamanca Cordillera, Central America, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 20. https://doi.org/10.1029/ 2018GC008128
- DeVitre, C., Gazel, E., Madrigal,P. Lücke, O., Alvarado G.E., Soto, G. J. 2019. Geochemical evidence for multi-stage chaotic magma mixing at Turrialba volcano, Costa Rica, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 381, 330-346
- Mazza, S. E., E. Gazel, M. Bizimis, R. Moucha, P. Béguelin, E. A. Johnson, R. J. McAleer, and A. V. Sobolev, 2019, Sampling the volatile-rich transition zone beneath Bermuda, Nature, 569(7756), 398-403.
- Barry, P.H., J. M. de Moor, D. Giovannelli, M. Schrenk, D. Hummer, T. Lopez, K. Pratt, Y. Alpízar Segura, A. Battaglia, P. Beaudry, G. Bini, M. Cascante, G. d’Errico5, M. di Carlo, D. Fattorini, K. Fullerton, E. Gazel, G. González, S. A. Halldórsson, K. Iacovino, J.T. Kulongoski, E. Manini, M. Martinez, H. Miller, M. Nakagawa, S. Ono, S. Pathwardhan, C.J. Ramirez, F. Regoli, F. Smedile, S. Turner, C. Vetriani, M. Yucel, C.J. Ballentine. 2019. Forearc carbon sinks reduce long-term volatile recycling into the mantle, Nature, 568 (7753), 487-492.
- Ruiz, P., S. Mana, E. Gazel, G. J. Soto, M. J. Carr, and G. E. Alvarado, 2019. Geochemical and Geochronological Characterization of Poás Stratovolcano Stratigraphy. Poás Volcano: The Pulsing Heart of Central America Volcanic Zone, 13-43, Springer International Publishing, Cham, doi:10.1007/978-3-319-02156-0_2. (book chapter)
- Gazel, E., Trela, J., Bizimis M., Sobolev, A., Batanova V., Class C., Jicha B. 2018, Long-Lived Source Heterogeneities in the Galapagos Mantle Plume, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 19, doi:10.1029/2017gc007338.
- Udry, A., Gazel, E, McSween, H. Y., 2018, Formation of Evolved Rocks at Gale Crater by Crystal Fractionation and Implications for Mars Crustal Composition, Journal of Geophysical Research: Planets, 123(6), 1525-1540, doi:10.1029/2018je005602.
- Moore, L. R., Mironov, N. Portnyagin, M., Gazel, E., Bodnar R. J., 2018, Volatile contents of primitive bubble-bearing melt inclusions from Klyuchevskoy volcano, Kamchatka: Comparison of volatile contents determined by mass-balance versus experimental homogenization, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 358, 124-131, doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2018.03.007.
- Ramírez-Leiva, A., **Sánchez-Murillo, R. Martínez-Cruz, M., Calderón, H., Esquivel-Hernández, G., V. Delgado, V., C. Birkele, C., Gazel, E., Alvarado-Induni, G., Soulsby, C., 2017 Stable isotopes evidence of recycled subduction fluids in the hydrothermal/volcanic activity across Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2017.08.013
- 2017."The hottest Phanerozoic magmas and the Survival of Archean Reservoirs."Nature Geoscience10: 451-456. .
- 2017."Post-rift magmatic evolution of the eastern North American "passive-aggressive'' margin."Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems18. .
- 2016."New insights into the Aeolian Islands and other arc source compositionsfrom high-precision olivine chemistry."Lithos272: 185-191. .
- 2016."Reconstructing CO2 concentrations in basaltic melt inclusions using Raman analysis of vapor bubbles. -."Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research323: 148-162. .
- 2016."Origin of plagiogranites in oceanic complexes: A case study of the Nicoya and Santa Elena terranes, Costa Rica."Lithos262: 75-87. .
Selected Awards and Honors
Daniel M. Lazar ‘29 Excellence in Teaching Award, the highest award for teaching in the College of Engeeniering, Cornell University, 2020
GeoPrisms Distinguished Lecturer(GeoPrisms),2018
Kuno Lecture at the European Geoscience Union meeting, 2017
Hisashi Kuno Award, Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology Section of the American Geophysical Union (AGU), 2016
Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Earth, Environmental, and Ocean Sciences, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University, 2009
Costa Rican National Science Award Cloromido Picado Twight, the most prestigious scientific honor given annually by the government of Costa Rica for outstanding scientific research, 2009
Bevier Fellowship for Excellence in Graduate Research, Rutgers University, 2008
University Excellence Fellowship, Rutgers University, 2007
Graduate School Research Award in Sciences, Rutgers University, 2007
- BS(Geology),University of Costa Rica,2004
- Ph D(Geology),Rutgers University,2009